Wednesday, January 20, 2016

that kid


He's standing next to the teacher's room door with his arm crossed, soiled uniform, bruises, and a crooked smile from ear to ear. 

"I am Joe, a fried rice thief.", is written on a cardboard that hanging on his chest. Loud noises of laughs around him can even be heard from the corridor I'm walking on.

Just like the first day he walked into my English class, his bright smile still etched all day. It now goes along with teases he's replying that trigger a louder laughs. Geez, that kid, it's like he's enjoying having a stand-up comedy with the cardboard as his props.

I am taking a glance as I'm passing him to the teacher's room and shaking my head towards him. Filled with wit and humor, his sloppy appearance no longer took place. In fact, he's one of the most fun and lovable kid among the 5th grader. But really, he needs to grow up. For the second time he caught up stealing from school's canteen and I wish this punishment shame him enough to realize his reckless.  

I sit on my desk that stranded at the corner room and start reading today's assignment. I gave my class a sheet of paper with "I wish my teachers know.....". It's more like an individual project for me for I want my students to open up anything they have in mind through this.

Joe's paper placed on the top; "I wish my teachers know..... I can't be this happy at home. Daddy beat me a lot for simplest mistake. Last night, again he doesn't even let me eat. I'm starving but too scared to tell."

My hand's shaking.


***

Did you know? Every year, between 500 million and 1.5 billion children worldwide endure many forms of violence. And approximately 5 children die every day because of child abuse.

this world is sick. 

January 17th 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment